Medical Cannabis CPD Course Cheeba Cannabis Academy
This course has been developed to meet the educational needs of healthcare professionals involved in the care of patients who are considering using medical cannabis as part of their medical treatment plan.
This course is accredited with the Health Professionals Council of South Africa and is offered by a partnership between Cheeba Cannabis Academy and Medical Marijuana 411.
Level 1 – 8 CPD points (with a pass mark of 70% or above)
HPCSA number – MDB001/016/08/2020
Due to lack of knowledge and the stigmas surrounding cannabis, healthcare professionals are hesitant to discuss treatment options with their patients. This lack of communication between the two parties can lead to the patient self-medicating with no guidance from a healthcare professional.
The evolving legal environment in which cannabis can be used in South Africa further compounds this confusion for both healthcare professionals and patients and this course also provides an overview of medical cannabis in its current legal context in South Africa.
- Module 1: History and Legal Landscape
- Module 2: The Discovery of the Endocannabinoid System
- Module 3: The Endocannabinoid System
- Module 4: Cannabinoids and Terpenes
- Module 5: Studies on Therapeutic Uses
- Module 6: Cannabis and Opioids in Chronic Pain Treatment
- Module 7: Side Effects and Chronic Effects
After completing this activity, the participant should be better able to:
- Compare and relate the historical medicinal uses of marijuana to modern resurgence in patient use of medical marijuana.
- Explain why there is a lack of clinical studies due to Schedule I classification of marijuana.
- Summarize and explain the discovery of the Endocannabinoid System and how its discovery has led to further research into how cannabinoids interact with the receptors.
- Summarize the function of the Endocannabinoid System in the regulation of the body through a vast network of receptors involved in maintaining homeostasis, neuroprotection, and other regulatory functions.
- Discuss and interpret how cannabinoids and terpenes affect the Endocannabinoid receptor system.
- Assess pros and cons of cannabinoids and their effects on the symptoms of ailments such as anxiety, chronic pain, epilepsy, gastrointestinal disorders, neurodegenerative illnesses, post-traumatic stress and migraines.
- Evaluate the current research studies regarding opioids versus cannabinoids in the treatment of the symptoms of chronic pain.
- Discuss side effects and contraindications of medicinal cannabis and safety concerns with its use.
- Identify signs of abuse, misuse and chronic effects of marijuana use.
- 8 Level 1 CPD points
- Cheeba Cannabis Academy HPSCA Number – MDB001/016/08/2020
- Instant access to all course materials
- Printable and downloadable infographics
- All research materials used for the online course
- Lifetime, unlimited access
- 24/7 access
- No time limits
- Start anytime
- Work on your own time and at your own pace
- Affordably priced
As part of the Medical Marijuana 411 adult online education, enrollees may start and stop at any time. Any students completing our certifications and/or coursework will have a permanent student dashboard to review materials at any time. If in the future, you want to review any information, simply log-on to your dashboard to re-visit the content.
All coursework and graphics can be downloaded for future re-use with customers, clients and patients. Additional resources of lengthier, pertinent PDFs are available by clicking on the research endnote at the end of each section module.
With over 800+ current, peer reviewed citations, Medical Marijuana 411 is proud to be the leader in online medical marijuana education for patients, medical professionals and dispensary consultants.
Our goal of creating the most current content for this cannabis certification course was obtained by using peer-reviewed research from industry experts. All citations utilized in this course meet standard guidelines and are part of the public domain. Experts listed below are not affiliated with Medical Marijuana 411 and no endorsement or authorization should be inferred by their inclusion on our website. Medical Marijuana 411 has included links to each expert to ensure credit is given for their research, legal and scientific studies under the guidelines of “Fair Use.”
- Dr. Raphael Mechoulam
- Dr. Sue Sisley
- Dr. Donald Abrams
- Dr. Jake Felice
- Dr. Ethan Russo
- Dr. Lester Grinspoon
- Dr. Nishi Whiteley
- Dr. Mark Ware
- Dr. Yehiel Gaoni
- Dr. Bruce Mirken
- Charles Whitebread, Professor of Law, USC Law School
- Neil Juneja, Gleam Law
- Orion Inskip, Gleam Law
- Dr. Martin Lee
- Dr. Allyn Howlett, Ph.D
- Dr. Gregory T Carter
- Dr. David Bearman
- Dr. Lumir Hanuš
- Dr. Vincenzo Di Marzo
- Dr. Robert Melamede
- Dr. Dustin Sulak
- Dr. Bonni Goldstein
- Professor Roger Pertwee
- Dr. Shohami
- Dr. Ester Fride
- Dr. Melanie Dreher